I am grateful for the opportunity to be speaking at an email marketing conference. Here is a summary of 25 things that are the focus of my presentation and a summary of so much good learning.
1. Deliverability is driven by authentication, reputation, content, and engagement.
2. Simplify the subscription process and enforce it with a real time confirmation message that delivers on your value proposition.
3. Create content streams – it takes more than a single message to engage.
4. Content should provide value and be responsive across devices.
5. Context drives relevance. You cannot say good night in the morning.
6. Test everything – subject lines, content, and landing pages.
7. Segmentation and relevance drive real results.
8. Analytics are key – predict and measure campaign performance so you can analyze and improve.
9. Create a campaign calendar and cap the number of campaigns sent to a single recipient.
10. Leverage all your channels.
11. Maintain a campaign library – from acquisition to nurturing to conversion.
12. Ensure compliance and adhere to high privacy standards.
13. Knowing what they want is an art and science. Keep observing and testing.
14. Do not cry wolf. You will never win. No crocodile tears either.
15. Make it exciting. Keep it interesting. Highlight your expertise.
16. Be sincere. Care. Deliver on your promise.
17. It is the web. Give them unlimited choices. Track. Segment. Personalize.
18. Offer expertise. Showcase expertise. Leverage expertise.
19. If you are too frequent, offer TREMENDOUS VALUE.
20. Can you design for a daily message? Think like a cartoonist, columnist, fortune teller.
21. Can you inspire? Can you make it alluring? Can you draw them in? Remember the Paul Harvey approach.
22. We are moving from OMNI-channel to OPTI-channel. Do you know what they want?
23. Sometimes a strong call to action can be beaten by subtlety. Work your content magic.
24. Can you show that you truly care? Get personal. Answer questions. Showcase REAL testimonials.
25. How would you spend your marketing dollars? Where would you focus? Where do you start?
Do share. Do connect. Do stay in touch – join my monthly webinar on email marketing best practices.